|Steel Minister Visits RINL-VSP Accident Victims in Vishakhapatnam|
|The Union Minister of Steel, Shri Beni Prasad Verma has visited the Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited-Vishakhapatnam Steel Plant (RINL-VSP) yesterday. He visited the accident victims who are admitted in hospitals in Visakhapatnam and interacted with the relatives of the injured persons. He assured them to provide all the help and informed that two injured persons were already air lifted to Mumbai for further treatment. RINL-VSP management has taken several measures to provide the best treatment to all the injured persons. The Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Shri N. Kiran Kumar Reddy and Secretary Steel also visited the spot and patients along with the Minister. Dr Deepak, the eminent doctor of Safdar Jung Hospital, New Delhi flown to Vizag to assist in the Medical Care of the employees admitted in the hospitals.|
There was an incident of fire at New Oxygen Pressure Reducing Station near SMS-2 of RINL on 13th June 2012 at around 08.45 PM. Totally 19 persons were affected out of which 12 are from VSP, 4 from M/s.D’Co., 2 from M/s.Bluestar and 1 from M/s.SMS Siemag. Out of total 19 persons, 11 are fatal cases and the remaining 8 injured persons are undergoing medical treatment. The Steel minister has announced the constitution of a High Level Enquiry Committee to investigate the incident with the following terms of reference:
• To investigate the incident, ascertain the sequence of events and determine the exact cause of fire.
• To ascertain whether all the trial runs were conducted as per the requirements and proper safety protocols were followed.
• To identify the agency/person(s) responsible for the accident.
• To make specific recommendations, so that this type of incidents do not occur.
* The Enquiry Committee shall comprise of the following members:
• Dr. S.R. Jain, Ex-Chairman, SAIL .. Chairman of the Committee
• Shri K.K. Mehrotra, Chairman, MECON
• HOD of Mechanical Engg. Deptt., IIT, Delhi/Kanpur
The Committee can co-opt members as per requirement. The Committee shall submit its report within the next 30 days. Safety Audit will be carried out by the Govt. to examine all the safety aspects and suggest corrective measures. Apart from the normal compensation of around Rs.20 to 30 lakhs, an ex-gratia amount of Rs.20 lakhs would be paid.