Highlights of the report on Criminal, Financial & other background details of candidates (Phase 2)
- Out of the 337 candidates analyzed for the 2nd phase of Uttar Pradesh Assembly Elections,118 candidates or 35 % declared criminal cases against them. In 2007 assembly elections for the whole of Uttar Pradesh, 28% candidates had declared criminal cases against themselves.
- Among these 118 candidates of 2nd Phase who have declared criminal cases against themselves, Mokhtar Ansari (Quami Ekta Dal, contesting from Mau and Ghosi constituency) has declared maximum number of criminal cases. He has declared 15 criminal cases including 9 serious IPCs. He is followed by Upendra (SP, Phephana constituency) and Javed Iqbal (BSP, Kushi Nagar constituency), who has declared 11 and 5 criminal cases respectively.
- Amongst major parties, every party has given tickets to candidates who have declared criminal cases. SP has 30 out of 59 (51 %), BSP has 23 out of 59 (39 %), BJP has 20 out of 55 (36 %), INC has 19 out of 59 (32 %), Peace Party has 8 out of 35 (23 %), JD(U) had 12 out of 50 (24 %), candidates with declared criminal cases.
- Out of these 118 candidates with declared criminal cases, 55 (16 %) have declared serious criminal cases like murder, attempt to murder, kidnapping, robbery, extortion etc. BJP has 9 , BSP has 10 , SP has 12 , Peace Party has 3 , INC has 10 , JD(U) has 7, Quami Ekta Dal has 2 and Apna Dal has 1 such candidates.
- A total of 138 candidates out of 337 analyzed for the 2nd Phase i.e. 41% are crorepatis. In 2007, there were 22% crorepati candidates.
- The candidates with maximum assets in 2nd Phase is Shah Alam of BSP from Mubarakpur constituency with assets worth 54.44 Crores followed by Subhash of SP from Saidpur with 35.32 Crores and Narendra Mani Tripathi of INC from Gorakhpur Urban constituency with assets worth 27.88 crores.
- 6 Candidates have declared assets less than 1 lakh.
- A total of 10 candidates out of 337 analyzed declared liabilities of 70 Lakhs and above.
- Among major parties, the average asset per candidate for SP is 2.13 Crores, For BSP is 3.38 Crores, for BJP is 1.24 Crores, For INC is 1.68 Crores, For Peace Party is 2.03 Crores, For JD (U) is 61.02 Lakhs, Quami Ekta Dal is 1.36 Crores and Apna Dal is 13.68 Lakhs.
- 212 out of 337 candidates analyzed i.e. 63% are graduates or with higher educational qualifications.
- Out of 1098 candidates contesting for 2nd phase of Uttar Pradesh Assembly Elections 2012, only 76(7%) candidates are women; the number of women candidates for BSP is 2(3%) out of 59, for BJP it is 6(11%) out of 55, INC it is 8(14%) out of 59 and SP it is 5(8%) out of 59.
Highlights of the report on asset increase of Re-contesting MLAs (Phase 2)
- Number of re-contesting MLAs analyzed for 2nd phase of UP 2012 Assembly Elections– 34
- The average asset of these MLAs as declared in 2007 is Rs 86,17,386 (86 lakhs).
- The average asset of these MLAs as declared in 2012 is, Rs 2,47,58,021 (2.47 crore).
- Average asset growth for these re-contesting MLAs is Rs 1, 61, 40,634 (1.61 crore).
- Average percentage growth in assets for these MLA is 187%.
- Sarvesh Kumar Singh of BSP from Azamgarh has the highest increase in asset worth Rs.8.81 Crores, followed by Pramod of BSP from Deoria with an asset increase of Rs. 4.51 Crores and Rajkumar of BSP from Ghazipur constituency with an asset increase of Rs. 4.38 Crores.
- The highest percentage increase (1934%) has been for Umesh Pandey of BSP from Madhuban constituency. His assets rose from 5.58 lakhs in 2007 to 1.13 crores in 2012. He is followed by Madho Prasad of INC from Chauri-chaura constituency with a percentage increase of 1025% (6.90 lakhs in 2007 to 77.62 lakhs in 2012) and Sarvesh Kumar Singh of BSP from Azamgarh constituency with an increase of 887% (99.42 lakhs in 2007 to 9.81 crores in 2012).
Highlights of the report on ITR and PAN details of contesting candidates (Phase 2)
- Uma Shanker (BSP) has the highest annual income at Rs. 5.54 Crores followed by Shah Alam (BSP) at Rs. 1.03 Crores, Jetendra (BSP) at Rs. 1.02 Crores and Suresh (BSP) at Rs. 75.46 Lakhs as per their last filed Income Tax Returns.
- A total of 166 candidates (49%) out of the 337 candidates analyzed by the Uttar Pradesh Election Watch have declared that they have never filed income tax returns.
- Out of the 166 candidates analyzed who have never filed income tax returns, BSP has 19 (32%) out of 59 candidates, BJP has 23 (42%) out of 55 candidates, SP has 34 (58%) out of 59 candidates and INC has 25 (42%) out of 59 candidates, Peace Party has 18(51%) out of 35 candidates and JD (U) has 35(70%) out of 50 candidates who have not filed IT Returns.
- Top 3 candidates with maximum assets but who have never filed IT returns are NARENDRA MANI TRIPATHI of INC contesting from Gorakhpur Urban with total assets of Rs. 27.88 crores, followed by MASHHOOR ALAM of BSP from Khalilabad with assets of Rs. 5.07 crores and SHABBEER of Peace Party from Rasara with Rs. 4.20 crores respectively.
- 78(23%) candidates have not declared their PAN details of which 20 are from JD (U) 14 are from INC, 14 from SP, 9 from BJP, 8 from Peace Party, 5 from BSP, 5 from Quami Ekta Dal and 3 are from Apna Dal.
- Top three candidates with maximum assets but not declared their PAN card details are NARENDRA MANI TRIPATHI of INC contesting from Gorakhpur Urban with total assets of Rs. 27.88 crores, followed by SHABBEER of Peace Party from Rasara with Rs. 4.20 crores and RAM DHARI of Peace Party from Padrauna with assets of Rs. 3.05 crores respectively.
- Uttar Pradesh Election Watch and ADR appeal to the voters of Uttar Pradesh to know what their candidates write in their affidavits so that they can make an informed choice on 11th February 2012
- Toll-free Helpline (1-800-110-440) to help voters to choose honest candidates and SMS MYNETA
to 9246556070 or 56070 or MYNETA to 9246556070 or 56070
Uttar Pradesh Election Watch(UPEW):
- Dr. Naseem Ajmed, E: firstname.lastname@example.org, M: 8450234073
- Dr. Chandrabhushan Ankur: E: email@example.com , M: 9415212392
- Mr. Narendra Mishra, E: firstname.lastname@example.org, M: 9559681277
1. Mr.I.C.Dwivedi, E: email@example.com
2. Mr. Sanjay Singh, E: Sanjaysingh033@gmail.com, M.: +91-94151-14151
3. Dr. Lenin, E: firstname.lastname@example.org, M: +91-99355-99330
4. Mr. Utkarsh Sinha, E: email@example.com, M: +91-9935736877
National Election Watch/Association for Democratic Reforms:
1. Anil Bairwal, E: firstname.lastname@example.org, M: +91 8010394248, +91 9999310100, T: 011 40817601
2. Jagdeep Chhokar, E: email@example.com, M: +919999620944
3. Trilochan Sastry, E: trilochans@IIMB.ERNET.IN, M: +919448353285