Outcomes of the 59th North Eastern Council Plenary Meeting
Following are the main outcomes of the 59TH North Eastern Council (NEC) plenary meeting held in New Delhi on 28th September 2010:
1. NEC Meeting approved Rs.700 Crores as Annual Plan for 2010-11.
2. After the last Plenary in February 2010, within six months, the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) has sanctioned 10 major roads in 8 States at an estimated cost of Rs.703.26 Crores. The total length of the roads is 449 kms.
3. The Ministry has stream lined guidelines for speedy implementation of NEC Schemes and has got approval from the Council for the same.
NE Vision 2020
4. The Ministry of Railways gave the presentation as per NE Vision 2020 and assured the Council that all the capitals of the NE Region will be connected by Railways by 2016 at an estimated cost of Rs.17000 Crores.
5. Inland waterways made a presentation and proposed the Brahmaputra Waterway i.e National Waterway -2 (NW-2) as a “dedicated freight corridor”.
6. Department of Telecommunications has assured that the quality of services will be improved.
7. The services of IIT Guwahati and IIM, Shillong will be used for Capacity Building of State Government Employess and educated unemployed youth of the Region.