Endocoal Limited [ASX:EOC] - Meteor Downs South Mine Project - Updating Environmental Management Plan Progress, 29 August 2012
- Environmental Management Plan for Meteor Downs South approaching completion.
- Essential fieldwork and site inspections for baseline environmental studies have been completed.
- Other EMP off-site studies are well advanced.
- Plan to lodge EMP with QLD Government late September/October 2012.
- Targeting start-up of MDS mine-site activities during 2013.
2. Environmental Management Plan
Endocoal Limited (ASX: EOC) is pleased to announce the completion of all major onsite field activities required for the Environmental Management Plan (EMP) for the Meteor Downs South (MDS) Project. The MDS open cut mine has been designed to deliver an average annual production of 1.5Mtpa over an expected 9-year mine life. It will deliver direct-ship sized thermal coal for export and hence will not require a coal preparation plant for washing/beneficiation.
As previously advised by Endocoal (30 June 2011), the Queensland Government’s Department of Environment and Resource Management, now the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (DEHP), confirmed the Mining Lease Application (MLA) process for MDS could proceed by way of an EMP, rather than via the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) route. This decision allowed Endocoal to follow the shorter period required for the environmental approval portion of the MLA process.
As expected, the Queensland Government still required Endocoal to undertake significant field activities and studies, now completed, to investigate critical environmental values and potential impacts required to support the drafting of the EMP, prior to its final assessment by the DEHP.