Shri K.R. Kamath, Chairman & Managing Director of Punjab National Bank, visited Kolkata on 22.01.12. The highlights of the visit are as follows:
Punjab National Bank celebrated 100 years of service to Eastern India. PNB made its first foray into the Eastern part of India in Kolkata in 1912-year of historical significance, with opening of a branch at Commercial House Canning Street now known as BRBB Road.
Chairman & Managing Director of PNB, Sh K R Kamath extended a warm welcome to the Hon’ble Finance Minister, Shri. Pranab Mukherjee who graced the occasion as chief guest at the centenary celebration of the service to the West Bengal organized by the Bank on 22.01.2012 at ITC Sonar, Kolkata. Shri. Pranab Mukherjee also inaugurated West Bengal’s 250th branch at Andal (Gram) in Burdwan District.
Further to celebrate this occasion, Bank has sponsored 200 sets of the book titled “The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda” to The Ramkrishna Mission Institute of Culture, Kolkata to be distributed amongst different organizations across 12 districts of West Bengal by them. Bank also sponsored deep-bore submersible tube-well to Ramkrishna Sarada Ashrama, Antpur, Hooghly to provide safe drinking water facility for the students & people of the area who visit Ashrama for free training & medical treatment. Moving forward, under National Rural Health Mission, Bank has sponsored the electrical fittings in the Vocational Training Shed, Dispensary Buiding, Guest House & Pathology Departments which is being constructed by to Ramkrishna Math, Naora, South 24 Parganas, Kolkata.
Performance Highlights as on 31st December, 2011:
CMD, Sh K R Kamath highlighted the performance of the Bank and informed that the Bank continues to hold its leadership position in business, network and technology adoption.
· Total Business of the Bank crossed a milestone of Rs 6 lakh crore to reach Rs. 6.21 lakh crore, showing a YoY growth of 22%.
· Deposits at the end of Dec’11 amounted to Rs 3.58 lakh crore as compared to Rs 2.89 lakh crore in Dec’10, exhibiting a growth of 24% on YoY basis.
· CASA deposits increased to Rs 1.26 lakh crore in Dec’11 from Rs 1.12 lakh crore recording a growth of 12%.
o CASA share stood at 35.3% due to higher growth of Term Deposits.
o Saving deposits increased by 14.3% to cross the milestone of Rs One lac crore at Rs 1.03 lakh crore.
· Advances at Rs 2.64 lakh crore grew by 19% (YoY) from Rs 2.21 lakh crore at the end of Dec’10.
· Credit Deposit Ratio stood at 73.78% as at Dec’11.
· Bank has been allocated 4583 villages with the population in excess of 2000 for providing banking services by March 2012. Out of these 2318 villages have been covered by 31st December, 2011.
· 34 PNBRSETI’s and 10 Farmers’ Training Centres imparted free of cost training to more than 32,000 and around 4 lakh villagers respectively.
· More than 77 lac “No Frill”/PNB Mitra accounts opened and issued more than 56000 General Credit Cards till now.
· Bank won many awards and accolades. Latest of them are “Golden Peacock National Training Award-2011” by Institute of Directors, “Best Bank Award” by Business India, “Overall Most Productive Bank” Award 2011 by FICCI and IBA, “Most Socially Responsive Bank Award 2011” by Businessworld-Price Waterhouse Copper.
· Bank has set the ball rolling for organizational transformation to achieve business excellence by initiating the programme ‘PNB PRAGATI’. Further Bank has introduced a corporate caller tune to extend harmonious welcome to everyone.
· Bank successfully conducted a saving fund campaign from 1st August, 2011 to 30th September, 2011 where pan India participation of all the members of PNB parivar was seen. Bank has opened 20.60 lac Saving Fund accounts during the campaign.
· Bank has launched a Special Car loan campaign under Monsoon Dhamaka from 01.08.2011 till 31st Jan 2012 to give a fillip to Car loan business.
· Bank also launched a Special agriculture credit campaign w.e.f from 15.10.2011 to 30.11.2011 for boosting direct agriculture advances.
· Bank has accepted the offer of MetLife India Ltd to acquire a 30% stake in the Life Insurance subject to regulatory approvals. Bank is already enthusiastically marketing life insurance products of Metlife.
· Bank has installed more than 5600 ATMs and has 151 lakh card holders.
PNB’s Forays in WEST BENGAL
· West Bengal has 19 districts which are covered by PNB’s 3 circles, viz. Kolkata, Burdwan and Midnapore.
· In West Bengal, Bank has 250 branches, out of which 129 branches are in rural area, 21 branches are in semi-urban area, 40 branches are in urban area and 60 branches in Metro.
· Bank has 171 ATMs in West Bengal besides providing free Internet Banking services.
· Total business of the Bank in the State as at Dec’11 crossed Rs.25,000 crore, registering yoy growth of 32%. While Deposits rose by 27%, Advances grew by 39%.
· PNB’s CD ratio in the State stood at 76%.
· PNB accounts for around 5% of the System’s business in West Bengal whereas West Bengal State contributes 4% towards PNB’s total business.
PNB’s Forays in Kolkata
· Kolkata Circle of the Bank comprises 4 districts.
· Circle has 104 branches, out of which 16 are rural branches, 7 are semi-urban branches, 21 are urban branches and 60 are metro branches.
· Bank has 75 ATMs in Circle, besides providing free Internet Banking.
· To cater to needs of Corporates, dedicated one Large Corporate Branch at Park street and one Mid Corporate Branch at Lyons Range, Kolkata has been set up for efficient credit delivery.
· Total Business of the Circle reached Rs 18000 crore, registering a y-o-y growth of around 25% as at end of Dec.’11.
· Deposits of the circle grew by more than 19%. Savings deposits increased by 10%
· Advances of the circle registered a robust y-o-y growth of 31%. This robust growth was aided by 22% growth in SME sector.
· PNB has been allotted 253 villages in West Bengal for Financial Inclusion.
· Bank has one PNB Rural Self Employment Training Institute (RSETI) at Contai, Purba Midnapur and one Farmers Training Centre (FTC) at Talai, Murshidabad and have imparted free of cost training to 2722 entrepreneurs & farmers till date.
· In Circle, the Bank has 1196 SHGs (Saving Fund linkage) accounts with an amount of Rs 57 Lakh. Of this, Credit linkage has been done in 960 cases with an amount outstanding of Rs 411 lakh.
· Bank has been allotted 58 unbanked villages in circle, with population of 2000 and above, for providing Banking Services.
· One ICT based Financial Inclusion project has been started at Namkhana where more than 15,000 people have been enrolled and more than 20000 smart cards have already been issued.