ISB BRINGS ALIVE IT’S ‘ONE SCHOOL, TWO CAMPUS’ VISION
FLAGSHIP PGP PROGRAMME BEING DELIVERED CONCURRENTLY TO 767 STUDENTS ACROSS TWO CAMPUSES – HYDERABAD AND MOHALI
Hyderabad / Mohali, June 11, 2012: Starting this academic year, the ISB’s Post-Graduate Programme in Management (PGP) is being concurrently delivered across its two campuses – Hyderabad and Mohali. Following the school’s unique portfolio faculty model, top visiting and resident faculty will impart cutting-edge management education at both locations, operating as a unified entity, with the same commitment to world-class programme design and delivery, and by effecting a seamless integration through inter-campus exchanges and virtual connectivity. The unified class, comprising 767 outstanding students from diverse academic, professional, cultural, geographic and social backgrounds, makes the ISB class the largest among premier Business schools in India.
Announcing the new class, Ajit Rangnekar, Dean, ISB said, “With the addition of our new campus in Mohali, we are delighted to make world-class business education accessible to many more deserving students. We believe that the Class of 2013 will make the best use of their year at ISB, to hone their management skills and take their first step towards becoming future business leaders. We are confident that our students will continue to contribute to the corporate world as well as society at large.”
· Increase in women students: The Co2013 has 216 women students accounting for a healthy 28% of the class, making it one among the highest in the country while being consistent with an increasing number of women students over the years. This is an outcome of the ISB’s commitment to encourage gender diversity in the classroom, which in turn increases the representation of women in business leadership. The resolve is strengthened by the exceptional performance of its women alumni, who are making their mark in the business world.
· Increase in the number of Entrepreneurs: The Class has 63 students who come from family run businesses as well as those who are first generation entrepreneurs. The ISB has a strong focus on entrepreneurship and encourages students to consider it as an interesting career option. The Entrepreneurship Development Initiative (EDI) at the ISB assists student entrepreneurs by offering scholarships, incubating their ventures and supporting them till their businesses take shape. Over the last three years around 20 ventures have been incubated at the school. In addition, over 200 alumni have set up their own ventures, and the school continues to support them in many ways.
· More students from Tier 2 & 3 cities: There has been a steady increase in the number of students hailing from Tier 2 and 3 cities joining the ISB over the years, up to 203 in the Class of 2013. The ISB has been reaching out to aspirants every year by conducting information sessions in about 20 locations across the country with the aim of making world-class management education accessible to all. Special scholarships for women from small towns combined with need and merit based scholarships for all have been instrumental in attracting students from these cities.
Speaking about the class, Dishan Kamdar, Senior Associate Dean – PGP, ISB said, “In an MBA programme, one learns as much in class as outside from one’s peers, underscoring the importance of diversity in the student body. Every year, ISB brings together achievers from a broad spectrum of functions, industries and geographies. Armed with cutting-edge business insights and an eagerness to expand their knowledge further, I am sure that the Co2013 will continue ISB’s tradition of excellence.”
ISB’s Class of 2013 - a Snapshot
Like all its preceding classes, the Co2013 comprises of high performers from diverse backgrounds - professional, educational, geographical, ethnic, cultural and social. The average work experience of the class is five years, and the average age is 27 years. The average GMAT score at 710 is comparable to some of the top global B-schools. About 230 students from 11 countries comprising international passport holders, NRIs and those with international work experience, bring in global perspective and cultural diversity into the classroom. All of the above lead to an extremely dynamic and challenging class environment that is highly conducive to learning. Here are some examples of the diverse backgrounds in the Co2013
· Majors, Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel and Squadron Leaders
· Scientists, Surgeons, General Physicians and Pharmacists
· Professional golfers, Rifle shooters, Mountaineers and other sportspersons
· Director of short films, Classical Musicians, Singers and Theatre artists
The Class was welcomed by a large group of alumni who organised an ‘Orientation Week’ both at the Hyderabad and Mohali campuses that was full of fun and learning. The alumni also gave them an insight into the life at the ISB and how to make the most of their one year at the ISB and prepare for a career of their choice ahead.
About the Indian School of Business (ISB)
The ISB was established in 2001 with an aspiration to put India on the global map of management education. Over the years, the ISB has successfully pioneered several new trends in management education in India, and has firmly established itself as a world-class management institution. In 2008, the ISB became the youngest institution to be ranked among the Top 20, in the Global B-school Rankings by the Financial Times, London, and since then has been ranked consistently among the top B-schools globally. Recently, the ISB earned the distinction of becoming the first South Asian B-school to receive the AACSB accreditation. Chartering its next phase of growth, the ISB flagged off its second campus at Mohali, Punjab in April 2012. Though located at Hyderabad and Mohali, the School will function as one entity with a seamless integration across both the campuses.
A strong pool of research-oriented resident and international faculty from reputed B-schools has been a key factor that helped the ISB to emerge as one of the leading B Schools with its cutting edge research and pedagogy. It has set up eight research centres serving as a bridge between the industry and the academia and carry forward its research agenda as well as promote education in areas critical to India’s development. The ISB offers its flagship one year Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP) besides the Post Graduate Programme in Management for Senior Executives (PGPMAX) and a bouquet of Executive Education Programmes that cater to top and middle management. The school also recently launched its Fellow Programme in Management (FPM). The school has over 4200+ PGP Alumni and 13,000+ Executive Education Alumni spread across over 25 countries making an impact on the business and society.